Design Oklahoma’s First Mental Health License Plate
Design Contest Details
The Alliance of Mental Health Providers of Oklahoma, in coordination with mental health leaders across the state, is holding a contest to generate a license plate design for mental health. Anyone 18 or over is invited to create and submit a design. All submissions will be evaluated by a committee of mental health professionals and one will be chosen as the featured design. The winner will receive a $250 cash award.
Please note that the winning design must be approved by the Oklahoma Tax Commission and Oklahoma Department of Public Safety prior to the plate being made available for purchase to the public. The plate will cost $35.00, of which $15 will go to to OTC and $20 to the Alliance’s suicide prevention efforts.
Legislation for the new plate will be introduced during the 2nd Session of the 58th Legislature, which kicks off in early February. Rep. Carol Bush (R-Tulsa) will serve as the bill author.
The purpose of the mental health license plate is to issue a call to action and/or demonstrate support for a cause near and dear to the mental health community, especially the Alliance of Mental Health Providers of Oklahoma, the largest network of mental health providers in the state.
- Measured edge to edge, automobile license plates are 6” X 12”. The area available for designs measures 5.5” X 11.5”
- For designs featuring an organization’s emblem on a contrasting background, the size of the organization’s emblem may not exceed 3 1/2” tall and 3” wide and must be located on the left or right side of the plate. Please Note: The Alliance logo should not be featured in the design.
- Designs may also be submitted which utilize the entire plate. In this case, the design will be the background and all alphanumeric characters will be superimposed over the design. The alphanumeric characters should be easily identified from 75 feet away. The background may need to be lighter than the alphanumeric characters to help with this contrast.
- The name of the organization may not exceed 1” X 6 3/8” and must be located on the bottom of the plate, between the bolt holes, as shown on the enclosed sample. Please Note: The Alliance’s name should not be featured in the design.
- There should be no more than two (2) stacked alphanumeric characters on the plate design.
- Each design will have a mixture of alphanumeric characters to be determined by the OTC. Requests for specific prefixes and/or suffixes will be given consideration depending on availability.
- The words “OKLAHOMA” will be printed at the top of the plate in one (1) inch block letters as shown on the template.
- The organization emblem may be printed with as many as four (4) colors, using the CMYK Color Chart. The alphanumeric characters must be 100% of one of the CMYK colors chosen. Please Note: The Alliance logo should not be featured in the design.
- The organization’s name may be printed in a single or double line, provided it does not exceed the allocated space designated on the enclosed sample. Please Note: The Alliance’s name should not be featured in the design.
- Please submit three copies of your design in each of the following formats: JPG, PNG and Adobe Illustrator.
- Please include a list of the colors used for the plate using the CMYK Color Chart.
- The design should not include the logo of name of the Alliance of Mental Health Providers of Oklahoma or any other organization.
- The design should strive to incorporate 9-8-8 (988), the new national suicide and mental health crisis hotline into the design. This is highly preferred, but not mandatory. Designs that include 988 may be given priority consideration, per the Board of Directors of the Alliance of Mental Health Providers.
- 988 will be available in Oklahoma in July 2022. It is a direct, three-digit line to trained behavioral health professionals that can open the door for all Oklahomans to seek the help they need, while sending the message that healing, hope and help are happening every day. The Federal Communications Commission adopted rules to establish 988 and turns it on nationally July 1, 2022. 988 is the first step to a multi-level crisis response.
- If the numbers 988 are used in the design, the design should indicate the purpose of the numbers and inspire anyone in crisis to use it to seek help.
- The design should be simple, inspiring, hopeful, striking and memorable.
- The design may aim to destigmatize mental illness, substance use disorders and/or addiction.
- Students are strongly encouraged to enter.
- Please submit your design via email no later than January 15, 2022, to firstname.lastname@example.org
- Please include with your design your full name, address, email address, phone number, brief bio and any social media handles you would like to share for promotion.
- The winner will be announced before the end of February 2022.
- You may view the current specialty plates catalog for Oklahoma here: https://oklahoma.gov/content/dam/ok/en/tax/documents/resources/publications/motor-vehicle/SpecialtyPlatesCatalog.pdf
- You may view the Oklahoma Tax Commission’s guide to creating specialty plates here: https://allianceok.com/wp-content/uploads/2021/10/Creating-A-New-Special-License-Plate-in-Oklahoma.pdf
Please feel free to contact us if you have questions, email@example.com or (405) 352-0565.
Again, this contest is open to legal residents of Oklahoma only. You must be 18 years of age or older to enter. Thank you, and have fun creating!